Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ) was established on April 1, 2011 under the Revenue Administration (Amendment) Act 2011 and began operating in its current form on May 1, 2011. TAJ is a consolidation of the former Inland Revenue Department (IRD), Taxpayer Audit and Assessment Department (TAAD) and Tax Administration Services Department (TASD).
Operating as a government funded department, the primary goal of TAJ is to collect domestic taxes, duties, rates and fees payable in accordance with the law and to do this in such a manner that will sustain confidence in the tax system and its administration.
The organisation has the responsibility to:
- Audit, assess and collect domestic taxes
- Promote voluntary compliance through various service channels and educational programmes
- Enforce tax Laws
- Provide property management services for Tax Offices and Revenue Service Centres
- Maintain a taxpayer registry
- Process Driver’s Licences
- Manage the motor vehicle registry